Hai. I started writing this post a month ago. This is how good of a blogger I am.
Instead of setting New Year’s Resolutions or goals or whatever you want to call them, I’m going to start/continue a 30 before 30. I turn 30 at the very end of this year, so I guess it’s like six of one, half a dozen of the other. Here they are, in no particular order.
Edit: I’m not going to do this at all, because I WILL BE THIRTY by the time I finish MAKING the list. So instead I’m going to aim to do 10 things this year and just tell you about them. Deal? Also, I’m going to decide on fewer things that are more exciting than “eat better, save money” etc. Although those are on the “ALWAYS DO THIS” list. Ok, here goes -
1. Watch Star Trek The Next Generation – Honestly, I can hear my friend Heather’s jaw hitting the floor. Actually whenever I watch an episode of TNG I always think “Heather would not approve” and then when I REQUEST that Graham and I watch one, I can hear Heather’s sighs. Anyway, Graham started watching this on Netflix and, as I was sitting there on the computer most of the time, I started to get into it. And now I can’t get out. I usually say, “can we watch Star Trek?” in a squeaky voice while hiding completely under a blanket. Then Graham’s heart explodes and we watch one and my embarrassment subsides while I marvel at how they got away with putting Deanna (AND ONLY DEANNA) in pajamas with a plunging neckline, if there’s anything Picard can’t do, and how it is that an android can be so hopelessly loveable. Uh, and now I actually know what the communicator pins that I made are used for.
2. Read Lord of the Rings all the way through. Heather, I’m so sorry. Anyway, I started this right before the holidays and will do my best to finish all three installments by my birthday. Wow this 30 Before 30 makes me sound like I’m aspiring to be a HUGE LOSER, and not in the TV show kind of way.
3. Take a course. I’m all set to take a typography design course in February from Nicole’s Classes - someone whose career I’ve followed pretty closely, if that’s ok to say without sounding like a stalker. But I also want to take a few more courses to understand a couple programs I work with at work, and to also really know what I’m looking at when I log in to Google Analytics instead of just clicking and watching the graphs move.
4. Blog more. This has been on my ‘resolutions’ list for about 5 years. I hope I can pound out one (or two!) blog posts per month or more this year. I used to blog almost every day back in 2005, but there wasn’t Facebook or Twitter, and each post was really terrible. To be fair, I’ve run two corporate blogs in the last 3 years where I blog pretty much twice a week instead of blogging here where nobody reads it (…for free).
5. Finally be a Power Ranger for Halloween. This involves getting fit because I’m not cramming myself into a unitard in my current state. This is going to be amazing if any manner of things happens – 1) I don’t go to a party and just hand out candy in a SERIOUSLY decked out costume to kids who don’t know what I’m dressed as. 2) We hang out with friends that night and nobody dresses up but me.
6. Redesign My Blog. WELL LOOKY HERE SOMETHING I HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS YEAR! What do you think of the new look? To be honest I’m kind of annoyed at WordPress. I don’t want to pay $30 PER YEAR just so I can have a red menu bar, so I’m stuck with what they give me!
7. Start a Facebook page for ispeakcanadian. I know, I’ve worked in social media ever since social media jobs actually started existing, and I don’t even have a Facebook page for my own dang blog. But I have one for Lucas’ Blog that I never post to, so who needs TWO that they never post to? Well, I guess I do. Edit: LOOK I ALREADY DID THIS! I JUST STARTED ONE RIGHT NOW! Please be the first people to like it! –> LIKE
8. Try a new sport. I don’t know what, I don’t know when, and I don’t know where. Maybe curling? I’d love to get back into aerials except that I’d have to take out a second mortgage on the house to keep it up. And I would also have to pre-train as to not DIE the first time I had to climb a silk.
10. Finish the list. What’s the list, you ask? Well, it’s the American Film Institute’s Top 100 Movies of All Time. Yes. I’m going to finish the list. Now for most people, finishing the list consists of watching about 85 movies. Over half are before 1965 and only 10 fall after 1990 (the most recent being Fellowship of the Ring in 2001), so unless your parents forced you to watch it during Throwback Thursday, or you watched them in school, most people wouldn’t have had a chance to see these movies. But I started working through the movies on the list late 2008 and watched a whole whack of them that year (during a particularly cold winter when all my friends had new boyfriends or marriages and were nowhere to be found). I slowed down to a crawl on these in about 2010 – as they came harder to find. I have, to date, seen 86 of them. EIGHTY SIX. I’m missing FOURTEEN and I WILL WATCH THEM THIS YEAR.
Anyway, I’ll probably blog about these things as they happen. Which ones do you find particularly interesting?